Norfolk Admirals Fan Website ::: NorfolkAdmiralsZone.com Forums
April 16, 2014, 11:47:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your Ad Here

Home   Blogs Help Search Calendar Treasury Chat Login Register Multimedia  
Your Ad Here
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Press  (Read 1027 times)
Roman
Assigned to ECHL Affiliate

Performance : +636/-57

United States United States

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »

Cross Checks Blog from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/15876/talk-about-an-admirable-streak

Quote from: ESPN
With the nightly drama that is the stretch run in the NHL unfolding like an Agatha Christie whodunit, it’s easy to overlook other hockey stories. But we were taken by the story of the Norfolk Admirals of the AHL for a number of reasons.

First, there is the no small matter of their current 21-game win streak, a streak that is put on the line Friday night when they play host to the St. John’s IceCaps in Norfolk. The streak, the longest in North American pro hockey history according to AHL officials, deserves recognition for the obstacles that are inherent in putting together a run like that anywhere, but especially at the AHL level.

As the top feeder league for the NHL, the mandate for GM Julien BriseBois and head coach Jon Cooper are different than for their counterparts in the NHL. They are tasked with developing hockey players who could, on a moment’s notice, be summoned to the parent club in Tampa Bay. Given the injuries the Lightning has sustained and the disappointing season they have endured, those calls come with regular frequency. That’s life in the AHL.

Beyond that, BriseBois and Cooper are also charged with putting together an entertaining and hopefully winning product for the good fans in Norfolk. No problem there, as it turns out.

In a phone conversation Thursday, Cooper struggled to define what has happened to his team, likening it to a small snowball that begins rolling down a steep hill. At the beginning it hits some bumps “but by the time it gets to the bottom, it’s out of control. That’s about the only way I can put it,” Cooper said.

The sum total of wins is impressive enough, but how this squad of minor-pro players has managed to assemble a 21-game stretch without a loss in many ways defies logic.

The Admirals won their first six games in a nine-night span.

“I was exhausted,” Cooper recalled with a laugh.

They won their next six in a 10-day span.

“I couldn’t believe we were at 12,” Cooper said.

The next six came in another 10-day stretch.

Thanks to injury and call-ups, only eight players have played in all 21 games.

They’ve done without their top goalie, without their second- and fifth-leading scorer and their captain, among others, during the run.

Six players in their current lineup started the season in the ECHL and another was playing college hockey while 29 players have appeared in at least one game during the streak.

The Admirals have a plus-51 goal differential during the carnival of wins, with rookies chipping in 44 of the 84 goals scored. They have allowed just 33 goals in those 21 games while 15 different players have produced game-winning goals.

There have been plenty of jokes as the winning streak mounted. When it got to 16, folks remarked that the streak was old enough to drive. By the time it got to 21 the streak was old enough to vote.

Is old-age pension next? Cooper laughs.

A stretch like takes a life of its own. Opposing teams want to be the ones to bring it to an end but the Admirals have a swagger, an imperviousness, which is daunting to opposing teams.

“The thought of losing a game isn’t even in anyone’s head,” Cooper said. “It’s been a huge advantage to us. There’s no Knute Rockne speech from me. I barely have to walk in the room.”

The streak has generated attention far beyond the normal AHL experience and Cooper hopes his squad is enjoying the attention. They’ve earned it, after all.

“To me this is all fun and I want the guys to have fun doing it," he said.

The attention has spread beyond the players.

If the AHL is about molding players for a potential NHL career, the same is true for coaches and general managers.

The moment Montreal Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier was fired Thursday morning, BriseBois’ name came up as a possible replacement. BriseBois spent nine years in the Canadiens organization before joining Steve Yzerman’s management team in Tampa before the 2010-11 season. The success of the minor league team for which he is responsible will do little to quell the notion that he is a top candidate for the Montreal job.

Cooper is a less-known quantity but he understands the streak will vault his name into the conversation as a potential up-and-comer with NHL potential. The same kind of dynamic saw Tampa’s current head coach, Guy Boucher, move quickly from major junior to the AHL to the NHL, where he led Tampa to the Eastern Conference final last spring in his first season as an NHL coach.

Cooper, in his second season as the Admirals’ bench boss, said he never thought about making such a jump until he started fielding questions about it during the streak.

“I’m always in the now with my team,” said Cooper, who gave up a career as a criminal defense lawyer to pursue a coaching career in 2003.

Since he put the law career behind him Cooper jokes he hasn’t once looked at a clock. If he keeps winning, though, he’ll have to keep a closer eye on his phone because it won’t be a surprise if the NHL will come calling sooner than later. That’s what happens when you string together 21 straight wins, no matter where the games are being played.

Chad O!
Back and Forth AHL/NHL Player

Performance : +1721/-53

Mood:

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »

Wow!  I am pretty stoked about the Ads getting some press, I just wish I hadn't read this blog (maybe I, too can be a professional writer).

This streak isn't the longest winning, "according to AHL officials", it is the longest streak in professional hockey according to no other streak in professional hockey being longer.

When the streak hit 21, it was old enough to legally drink alcoholic beverages.  18 is the voting age in this country.

I haven't read much of the other press.  Given this representative sample, I should have stuff with what was working for me.

My apologies for splitting hairs.  I'm jealous that I can't get a writing gig for myself.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »

Your Ad Here
Roman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »

Wow!  I am pretty stoked about the Ads getting some press, I just wish I hadn't read this blog (maybe I, too can be a professional writer).

This streak isn't the longest winning, "according to AHL officials", it is the longest streak in professional hockey according to no other streak in professional hockey being longer.

When the streak hit 21, it was old enough to legally drink alcoholic beverages.  18 is the voting age in this country.

I haven't read much of the other press.  Given this representative sample, I should have stuff with what was working for me.

My apologies for splitting hairs.  I'm jealous that I can't get a writing gig for myself.

To be fair, it's a blog, and factual data is far less significant when writing a blog. Smiley
Geoff Fox

Performance : +163/-92

Mood:

Geoff Fox
Geoff Fox
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »

To be fair, it's a blog, and factual data is far less significant when writing a blog. Smiley

So which is the difference between and writer and blogger; knowledge or research?   Cheesy

quack, quack, quack, QUACK, QUACK, QUACK....
Norads
AHL 2nd Line Player

Performance : +824/-69

Mood:

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »

To be fair it's the longest NORTH American pro hockey streak. 

Elite Ice Hockey League

22 games — Cardiff Devils
 Streak started October 30, 2010 (defeated Hull Stingrays, 7–4)
 Streak ended January 16, 2011 (ended by Dundee Stars, 1–2)
Chad O!
Back and Forth AHL/NHL Player

Performance : +1721/-53

Mood:

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »

Elite Ice Hockey League

Aha!  I had heard longest professional streak.  So 2 more games then and the Ads will nail it down.  Good research.
Roman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »

Yeah, there are tons of qualifiers for this streak. Of course, none of us know how consecutive wins some native American team won back in the late 16th to mid 17th century.
ShawnD
NHL Player

Performance : +2026/-144

Mood:

ShawnDulin
ShawnDulin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »

scott burnside isn't just some blogger, and keith helped him with it.  and its easy to write, even I did it.

@ShawnDulin
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »

Your Ad Here
Norads
AHL 2nd Line Player

Performance : +824/-69

Mood:

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »

Yeah, there are tons of qualifiers for this streak. Of course, none of us know how consecutive wins some native American team won back in the late 16th to mid 17th century.

Is that before the Bronze age or after? 

After:
Northern American Ice Mammoths  had a 20 game streak.

Before:
Nobody.......didn't have skates
Caps52Green
Draft Pick

Performance : +331/-9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Mood:

VBKen
VBKen
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »

Elite Ice Hockey League

Woo Hoo....Streak ended by my hometown team....GO STARS!!  LOL

I thought I read somewhere that this included ties. I might be wrong.

Vultures Row - An Admirals Hockey Blog
http://admiralshockey.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »

Your Ad Here
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: